December 28, 2008

Skates

My three oldest received skates from their grandpa and Baba this Christmas. I've been saying for the last couple of years, that I really need to teach Faith how to skate. Faith has been skating at school a few times, but not enough really to learn anything. So friends had a skating/toboggan party yesterday. They have a few acres and have a pond to skate on.

Faith is actually getting good. She could glide and turn without falling too much. Which I think for a fourth time skater is really good. Payton on the other had has NEVER been skating before. She's 4. She was *walking* along and getting herself going. Very impressed. Alas Clayton is not an athlete. He wanted them off within 30 seconds. He found out pretty quickly he can't walk normally with skates on. Nathan just played on the ice with his boots on.

I was surprised it was a really nice day. -17 and with windchill is was about -25. So for here at this time of year it was prefect.

So today we went to the skating rink just down the street from us. I found out yesterday it's public property and the city is the one who maintains it. Friends can see it from their house, and she said they come by every day to clean and water it. LOL that makes it sound like a plant. Anyways, so I took the three oldest and went for a skate after lunch. I didn't bother with Clayton's skates. I figured, after a few times watching how much fun the girls are having he'll want to skate too. Faith was going backwards and gliding along. I should have brought the shovel, because it is sunday afterall. The city didn't clean off the new snow.

I'm glad I found out that it's public property. Paying to go the local community center, when I'll probably only be there for 10 minutes; of skate time; just seems like a waste of money.

The one good thing about these skates is that they are interchangeable with in-line skates. They come with in-line skate to change for the summer. So not only do the have ice skate they have in-line skates for the summer. I like buying one thing and getting multiply uses out of them.

Now I just need to get skates and remember how to skate so I can join the kids for all the winter fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment