January 22, 2009

Alphabet and Counting

Today we had to pick up our friend D from pre-school and take him over to a friends house. He is friends with the twins. They were so excited to see him get in our van, as you can tell this doesn't happen very often. I had to keep reminding them that he's not coming to our house. They were fine with that until later in the day when his brothers got off at our bus stop. They screamed in excitement "yeah D is coming over to play", " I want to play with D". But atlas he wasn't and the brothers stayed for only a few minutes. I think we need to set up a play date.

Today was almost a complete waste. Having a headache I didn't go to playgroup and came home with Nathan and rested most of the morning. Good thing he enjoys playing by himself.

I did manage to pull it together this afternoon/evening. After having attended Kindergarten hear we come program on wednesday afternoon I realized the twins either don't know or won't say their alphabets. They don't like to sing along with songs, even though I know, they know the words. So we are going to start rectifying that. We played a game on wednesday where Dora had to follow the Alphabet. You had to find the item that matched the letter she was standing on.
I made my own game at home. I had already written out the alphabet awhile ago. I used to get the kids to go through it. But they would always say "I don't know" or "I don't remember" Which if you have kids you know gets very frustrating especially if you have two of them saying it at the same time. So I threw the cards on the floor scattered them all over. Then took figures from another Dora game gave one to each child. I would then ask them to find a letter and they had to place their figure on the letter and say the sound. I had to tell Faith to be last and just pretend she was playing or else she is always first and get the twins upset. I then finished the game with everyone closing their eyes and I counted to three then they had to find the first letter in their name. I think I came up with a very good game and I had to stop playing it when they were really enjoying it, so they would want to play it again later.

After that I took the twins one at a time and went throught their counting. I can say that they are fairly good with their counting to 10. Payton can write her name, but only if it's already written. Clayton will write his name, but only if it's written and he won't write it in order. They are starting kindergarten next year I think I really need to work with them on this.

I need to set up a schedule lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment