January 12, 2009

Simple things in life

I should take after my kids more. They can have the most joy out of the littles things in life.
Seeing a huge snow pile, curling up with mom and dad in bed watching tv, seeing the garbage truck go by.

If only adults took the time to enjoy the little things in life. I want to enjoy Faith for the wonderful person I know she can be. She can be very loving towards her siblings.
I want to enjoy Payton for the girl she is. She loves dressing up and being *pretty* all the time.
I want to enjoy Clayton for his kind heart. I want to enjoy Nathan for the cuddley person he is. Those are my new, new years resolution.

The past couple of days have been very trying for me. The kids don't want to listen and are doing things they know they are not suppose to do. I have found a way to get them modivated. We *race* who ever gets something done first they get a special treat. I know some of you are going to say " don't do that you'll cause problems in the future". Well my saying as always been "do what works" right now this is working. I need something to change in their behaviours, their attitudes and they way we interact together.

Hopefully this week goes better then last. Already it's starting out better.... no one is grounded.

3 comments:

  1. Amen, I hear you loud and clear, do what works and live in the moment. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

    My boys haven't listened to a word that has come out of my mouth in about 3-weeks, I take this as a challenge. My method is to never let them get me worked up- I just don't want them to think that they have that kind of control over me. So I bite my tongue, smile and calmly make them do something they dislike very much. For instance a couple of nights ago I put my 8-year to bed about an hour and half early- you would have thought the world was coming to an end. But amazingly the next day he was as compliant as they come.

    Good luck though, just remember any parent who tells you they don't understand is full of it- you're not alone.

    shane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, competition...I too use this tactic when my children will not do as they are told. "If you don't hurry and get to the bathroom, your sisters going to get there first!!" Works everytime!
    Ah, and bribery my other favorite tool..."If you clean up these toys before I get back from the basement, you can have a candy!"...Ooooh yes! Quality parenting....but it works much better than "SO HELP ME IF YOU DON'T GO PEE AND CLEAN UP THESE TOYS! I'M GOING TO THROW THEM ALL OUT!" Tried that and the response..."Mommy, did you know your face gets red like a Tomato when you yell?....Mommy's a TOMATO HEAD...TOMATO HEAD!!"
    Do what works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like I need you to come motivate my son. I though the attitude would leave once holidays were over, but I was very wrong :oP The talking nicely isn't working for me anymore; time out to the the bedroom is alright unless Madison or dad are napping....The reprocutions of some of things coming out of his mouth lately would have resulted in me getting a serious slap upside the head on many occasions from my mom or dad. I even slowed down candy consumption and its not working...I'm at a loss. Any recomendations?

    ReplyDelete